Sunday, February 1, 2009

Gung Hey Fat Choy!

"Last Updated 22 Oct 2008"

Since then we've canceled our gym membership, gotten rid of bed bugs, adopted two kittens, celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Chinese New Year, implemented our project at work, got new cell phones, and.... that's about it.

Oh wait, I have a new niece: Genevieve Noelle Robinson. ValeReed's second child. Jamie is due with her second this month.

Today I cooked Chinese food. Last Monday was Chinese New Years, but with work, I don't exactly have the time to cook Chinese. So that was today. We kept it simple: won tons and chow mein. We ended up doing bao but that was only because we ended up with the time. We invited the missionaries over as they didn't have a dinner appointment and I didn't them to not have a meal. Besides, you don't cook Chinese in small quantities.

I used a new won ton recipe. It actually called for them to be baked. Jared protested, so we did half and half. I baked, he fried. They both tasted good, but Jared still votes for fried. I made, of course, Tomato Beef Chow Mein. I really liked the noodles we got this year.

And the bao..... I don't have the hang of it yet. My yeast went wonky and that was my first problem, I think. The second is that I think the water condensing on the lid of the steamer causes problems too. I read that cheesecloth tied to the lid should help. I'll have to remember that for next year. Jared protested the bao because we didn't have Chinese pork. Oh well! We decided the bao tasted like pretzels. I still liked them, but they weren't light and fluffy like they should have been.

We decided we'll do dishes tomorrow. :-) Even though we did dishes while we were cooking (well, I did most of the cooking... Jared took a nap after helping a couple in the ward move some furniture), we still ended up with lots...

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you finally started to post again. It makes it worth my checking in. You were tagged, BTW on my blog.

    ReplyDelete