Sunday, January 16, 2011

6. Get Kaelyn to sleep the whole night without waking up: Progress

We have a plan to get from where we are now to where we want to be.


Goal: Kaelyn sleeping through the night in her own bed. (#5 and #6 in my 2011 to do list)
Starting Point: Kaelyn sleeping in our bed and waking up anywhere from 3 to 8 times a night.


The Plan
Step 1: Wean Kaelyn off breastfeeding.
Step 2: Spend happy time in crib or hammock (Jared and I differ in opinions on which one we should go with) progressively detaching myself from the scene as Kaelyn becomes more independent.
Step 3: Kaelyn sleeps in bed.
Step Somewhere: Wean Kaelyn off pacifier.
Step Somewhere Else: Kaelyn sleeps through the night.


The plan sometimes shifts as we discover how she reacts to one thing. I'm not certain whether to wean Kaelyn off the pacifier before or after she is sleeping in her crib. Nor do I know whether to get her sleeping in her crib before she sleeps through the night. I'm sort of playing it by ear. There are also several mini steps to go along with the bigger steps but I won't bore you with those details.


I'm here to update about #6 specifically step 1.


Making the decision (and putting it into play) to stop breastfeeding Kaelyn was the best thing I could have done for myself. My body was feeling the stress of it all (constantly waking through the night, hungry constantly, losing too much weight) and I'm so glad I started there. It didn't take very long. I just offered her whole milk instead of nursing. It took her a few days to catch on. My body said "thank the heavens!" and sang my praises.


I realized today that Kaelyn hasn't nursed in 3 days and I only feel very slight discomfort. Success!

1 comment:

  1. wow, you are brave. we are just now getting isaac to sleep in his own bed and he's 3 1/2...and the bed is flush with my side of the bed so it's like he's sleeping right next to me anyway. he gave his paci up around 18 months and probably slept through the night around 20-24 months. but it worked for me, so whatever works for you! good luck!

    ReplyDelete