Monday, April 25, 2011

Cloth in the Kitchen

Two of my items to do this year is 9. Make huck toweling towels (aka, cloth paper towels). and 33. Make cloth napkins. Now, this may seem cheating to everyone else, but I am now counting these as one item and leaving them as two items on my list. Awesome, right? I was going to make both. Really. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there was no need to. We rarely use napkins or paper towels in our house and with only three of us, I didn't need two sets of something that can double as both.




What is huck toweling? In my third grade level explanation, huck toweling is the stuff they use in hospitals to dry the surgical utensils off. They are absorbent and lint-free. It is bumpy on one side, smooth on the other. I have heard that you can get colored huck toweling, but I purchased plain white huck toweling. It goes with everything I'd use it for -- remember, double use out of one item.


I don't even know if we'll keep paper towels on hand since I can't remember the last time I used them. I cook bacon in the oven and we drain off fat from ground beef, etc into cans or down the dish disposal.


Anyway. I made 'em. I like 'em.




Lucky me, the material came 15 3/4 inch wide with that edging on both sides. This means less sewing, faster project.



 I ironed the two unfinished sides in a half inch and then folded them under and ironed again for 1/4 inch seam.


As you can see here, we have a square.


Sew a straight stitch down the ironed sides.



Fold and enjoy! Note: I washed, dried, and ironed the huck toweling first. Even so, I had a freaked out moment when I first washed them after I made them. It looked like they had shrunk! But no, they didn't. I even ironed them again to make sure. I don't iron every time I wash them. Only if I expect company. Also, I just wash them with regular towels but wouldn't hesitate to wash them with clothes.


Linking to: Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment