Monday, June 6, 2011

Blackberry Jam

I had this idea to write about fitness. Close upon the heels of that thought came the thought that really, what do I know about it? Maybe I can write about what I'm doing or reviews of DVDs that I've tried. Actually, I like that idea.

But not today.

Today I have two other things to say.

1. This is post #100. Tear.
2. I noticed today that I have blogged more this year than I did last year.

And I just decided I'm going to blog about Wellness on Mondays. See? A step in the right direction. On Mondays, you get Wellness. On Fridays, you get Garden. On Saturdays, you get Rambles. Or perhaps Bad Habits, Evil Doings, and Other Unnecessary Confessions is a better title.

Wellness is a way of life. Wellness is being fit. Wellness is exercising. Wellness is movement. Wellness is healthy foods. Wellness is unprocessed foods. Wellness is cleanliness. Wellness is being financially fit. Wellness is being spiritually fit. These are just a few of my thoughts about what wellness includes for me. I certainly have not achieved my goal, but every little change gets me closer.

When I run out of a food, I often look for a healthier alternative or brand. In one of those past 99 posts, I mentioned that Heinz makes ketchup that has no HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). It is not that much more expensive and it is called Simply Heinz.

Recently, I was running low on jam and I always dread buying jam because it seems like the healthier versions are way more expensive so I have to hang my head in shame while I buy a product loaded with HFCS, CS, and other additives. When I got to the store, I looked down the row and picked up one that said it was all natural with no preservatives. The pricing wasn't that bad and it was a decent sized jar. My jaw dropped. Four ingredients! Now THAT is what I'm talking about.

I wish I had the price, but this was one of the weeks that I did not enter anything into my price book. :(

Blackberry Jam by Wind Stone Farms. Made in Kentucky. I bought seedless because I thought that's what Jared liked. Jared told me otherwise when I got home. Does my dad like seedless then? I swear someone in my life somewhere does not like seeds and apparently it is not Jared. It is an 18 oz jar and it is yummy.

Ingredients: Blackberries, sugar, fruit pectin, citric acid.

Nutrition Facts--I confess that I haven't really ventured too much into this world. I figure if I'm eating foods that are low in ingredients and not very processed, I'm doing pretty good. But maybe someone who reads this will want to know this information. So here you go.
Serving size: 1 Tbsp
Calories 50
Total Carbs 13g
Sugars 12g

One year I will take it a step further and make my own. I'm not there yet.

1 comment: