Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Memorizing Music

Last year I was invited to join a community choir called “The Entertainers”. The promise of Christmas music made sure I was there.

The Entertainers is a group that has been around for 50ish years and has gone through various name changes. Currently we are all women but they have had males in the group occasionally. They have two “seasons”. Christmas and Spring. We take the summer off.

Over a period of three weeks, we perform 8 or 9 times. Mostly in nursing homes during the day but we always do a family concert on one evening. (So, if you have nothing better to do on Dec 12 at 7pm, let me know. You should also probably be in Ohio. Sorry, out-of-staters.)

We memorize the music. Usually we have 8 or 9 songs. This time we only have 7 but one of them is something like 25 pages long.

Although I’ve been listening to Christmas music on and off since Halloween (I mean, more steadily since I tend to listen to Christmas music year round if the mood strikes), Kaelyn has picked her first favorite Christmas song. This is now what I hear when we get in the car and the practice CD comes on (and I just got this CD on Monday, mind you)...

“Mommy, I want Grinch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment