Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Our New Callings

A few weeks ago, Jared and I received new callings in our ward. Previously I was 1st Counselor in Young Womens and Jared was 2nd Counselor in Elders Quorum.

On the off chance that there is someone reading this that has no idea what I’m talking about, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serve in different capacities. The Bishop (the local leader of your congregation) extends callings to different people and you may find yourself a Primary (sunday school for children) teacher one day and Sacrament organist the next. Sometimes you’re in a calling for a long time and sometimes not so long.

Jared hasn’t officially been released from Elders Quorum yet but they said they would. Maybe they were just kidding.

Our new callings are 11 year old scout leaders. Kaelyn gets to come with us because I am so not paying for a weekly babysitter when Jared and I are not going on a date.

We attended our first scout meeting tonight. It was the last one to be combined with the Gahanna 11 yo scouts so we got to be eased into it a little bit. That was really helpful because they pretty much said “will you serve as...” and when we said “yes”, they said “Good! Take this training and fill out this application.” One person didn’t know what to tell us and the other would have given us far too much help if we had asked.

I purchased the handbooks we needed a few days ago and read through a lot of them. I read more today and am feeling like I have a grasp on what needs to happen. I expressed my concern about how I thought this calling might go with me doing the bulk of the work. Jared suggested we plan on Sundays because that is generally a good day (ie he rarely has to work on that day). Yay. :)

We only have one scout! He’s an awesome kid. Can’t wait to get to know him better. He turns 12 in April and the next boy to turn 11 isn’t until next October. Maybe some people will move in the ward!!!

I’ll miss my young women for sure. Scouting is an area of the Church that I have not yet been privileged to serve in. Bring it on! (Oh, and if you have ANY advice, please leave it!!!)

1 comment:

  1. Jason was the assistant scoutmaster to the 11-year-olds in the Hayden Run ward. You can ask him about his experience with it, if you want.

    ReplyDelete