Thursday, September 8, 2011

I called myself a miracle worker

Yup. I did. And I have the email to prove it. Whether or not I actually was... I still think I was awesome.

So let's start with last night. Jared decided he was going to make a roast. He put stuff (salt, pepper, stuff) on it, covered it with foil and put it in the oven on 250. That was while I was rushing out the door to go to youth night.

I come back home. Still a roast in the oven. Understandable. It needs to cook.

Midnight (ish--I really don't remember when I did what last night). Kaelyn wants more milk. Still a roast in the oven. "You know the roast is still in the oven, right?" "Yeah."

3:00 am (ish). Kaelyn wants more milk. Still a roast in the oven.

5:30am. Kaelyn wants more milk. Not only that but she had ended up in my bed after the last milk and then she leaked out her diaper. Like majorly leaked. I had to take all the bedding off. Jared comes in the room and asks if she leaks. "No, I just like to change the sheets at 5:30 at night." Okay... I wasn't in a good mood. It's 5:30 and I'd already been out of bed twice. Had to get her milk still. Still a roast in the oven. "You know the roast is still in the oven, right?" "Yeah."

7 am. Jared's alarm goes off. I hate this thing. It's annoying to wake up to and he rarely actually has it near him. I take it to him. Go back to bed.

8 am (ish). Jared gets up. That means Kaelyn gets up. Which means I get up. And when I get downstairs.... there's still a roast in the oven.

Just in case you haven't kept track, that's something like 15 hours that that roast has been in that oven. Guess who took that roast out of the oven? Finally. No, he was still upstairs.

This thing was dried out. Oh my word. It definitely was cooked though. No doubt about it.

Jared totally tested it and then ignored it.

I tried to ignore it too. I was NOT happy. And was there anyway to fix an overcooked roast???

I had to try....


I succeeded. Especially with the gravy. I don't have a good track record with gravy but I've learned a few things about the art of gravy making and put it to use. Jared ate it. Although he thought the meat just needed BBQ sauce to make it better. (Absolutely not....)

I made a basic gravy (using no drippings since there were none after 15 hours of the oven). I let it thicken and then I thinned it down with some water. I put the roast in and let it simmer on the stove for about 5 hours. I actually added even more water at some point. I probably could have let it simmer for a few more hours but I couldn't wait on dinner.


With mashed potatoes and some brussel sprouts, it was a delicious meal. And I learned you can fix an overcooked roast. And that I can make awesome gravy.


These is what Kaelyn did while I was finishing dinner prep. Poor little girl.... she's teething again. Because you probably don't remember, Kaelyn got her first tooth at 14 months and then proceeded to pop out eight by the time she was 16 months. There has not been any progress since then. Until this week. Almost 5 months later. A molar is peeping out and I'm sure there's more to follow. She's got the runny/stuffy nose and the low grade temperature.

Her meal plan looks like this: eat a grape, ask for chips but don't eat any, ask for crackers but I really wanted a cookie, eat another grape, run around (that's part of the meal plan, right?), ask for cheerios but I really didn't want those either..... By the time she woke up from her nap, I think she maybe had eaten the equivalent of a piece of bread. And maybe 1/4 cup of juice (or maybe it was water). So she was cranky to say the least.

She asked for milk.

I put it in a cup with a lid and and a straw.

She cried.

But she wanted the milk.

Just not the cup with a lid and a straw.

No, she wants the bottle.

She drank 20 ounces of milk before dinner. And probably another 8 or so before going to bed (I had a meeting so I don't know).


Anyway, so the opportunity to get her by herself and not whining and lounging on me was too much to pass up. She helped wash the pot. Mostly she got water everywhere.


And Kimmi should be happy because Kaelyn is using the zebra dish scrubber that Kimmi left here that her friend bought for her for cheap while in Finland.

No comments:

Post a Comment