Friday, September 2, 2011

Sticky Rice Attempt #1

One of the yummy food pictures I came across on Pinterest led me to a recipe for Thai Coconut Sticky Rice. (That website is Thai food related so if you're looking for some recipes or information about it, check it out. Some good stuff there.) It seemed easy enough. I even read the additional articles on peeling a mango and what type of rice to use. And then I promptly used whatever rice I wanted to. I did make sure I purchased the recommended brand of coconut milk (Chaokah which is what I would have bought anyway).

This is what I did. You can read what she wrote at the link above but it's almost the same thing. I fully intend to change this recipe and I want to see my path there.

1/2 cup rice (I used Jasmine rice) - I tried her method which is steaming rice. Totally didn't work for me. Maybe it's the type of rice I used. I'll just cook it normal next time. This was supposed to take 20 minutes (+ 10 minutes soaking) until cooked. I tried 20 minutes soaking and closer to 40 minutes cooking and there were lots of hard middles of rice grains.

1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt (definitely just did an approx pinch) - combine in bowl and microwave for two minutes. Sugar should be dissolved and mixture hot.

Combine rice + hot mixture. Cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 30 minutes. (Mine sat for... yup, you guessed it. Longer! More like 45 minutes.) Your rice is supposed to soak up the milk mixture. Mine did a fairly good job of that.

Plate it pretty and pretend you take good pictures.


The mango was perfectly ripe. But it was a normal big mango which aren't my favorite. I haven't seen the little mangoes in a while. They are much tastier though.


The rice was super duper sweet. It was so sweet that my stomach turned and it made the mango taste not sweet and yummy like it should have. It was too sweet even for Kaelyn.


I will definitely be trying this again because I have leftover coconut milk. And another mango.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I'm liking the pictures. Good choice with the plate too, I like that the red sets off the mango. Looks yummy too, I might be inspired to give it a go next week (after my next shopping trip). What changes do you think you'll make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, I've NEVER had anything like this, I can only imagine... I do think I may have possibly had rice with sugar and milk once, but if that's true it's an extremely vague memory.

    ReplyDelete